Calls for clear employment definitions to be made
(2 minutes to read)
The Work and Pensions and BEIS Select Committees have called for 'clearer statutory definitions of employment' in a new report.
The recent report, ‘A Framework for Modern Employment’ will be very much welcomed by the self-employed sector. The need for a clear definition of the self-employed has been campaigned by the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (IPSE) for some time now, with the organisation stating that it especially welcomes the report’s proposed ‘independent contractor’ definition. The report suggests defining independent contractors according to:
- Whether the individual assumes responsibility for the success or failure of his business
- Whether the individual can hire others at their own expense
- Whether the individual has the ability to determine the manner in which services are carried out
- Whether the individual can negotiate and set the price for their services
Ready to start your contracting career? With almost 30 years experience in contracting, use our expertise today.
Become an expert
I want to be a contractor
IPSE’s Director of Policy, Simon McVicker, commented, “This is an extremely valuable contribution to the debate about self-employment and the gig economy. For too long, confusion has reigned because of the lack of a clear definition of self-employment, which leads to individuals and businesses being forced to seek clarity through expensive and time-consuming court hearings.” He added, “In our response to the Matthew Taylor review into modern work, we called for a statutory definition of self-employment. We are delighted these Select Committees agree. Clearly defining independent contractor status is the only way to both protect the freedom of the genuinely self-employed and guarantee worker rights for the people who deserve them. “At IPSE we look forward to working closely with the Government to build on the recommendations made in this excellent report.” To find out more about contracting please contact Jaime on 01442 795 100 or email email@example.com.
Why Dolan Accountancy?
Dolan Accountancy was set up by Simon J Dolan, the man behind the well-known brand SJD Accountancy. With over 25 years experience in the contracting marketing, Dolan Accountancy has the heritage, reputation and credibility you can trust. Working closely with our sister company, ContractorUmbrella, it means we can offer one low cost, fixed fee package at £95 + VAT per month. This gives you the flexibility of using both our Limited Company Accountancy Services and our award winning Umbrella Service, for one inclusive cost. We don’t believe in tiered packages or hidden extra fees, instead we aim to give you everything you need, including:
- Free Company Formation – This is where it all begins. Once you have decided on an available name, we will form your company free of charge (if using our accountancy services) and it will be ready for you to use in as little as three hours.
- Free use of ContractorUmbrella – With changes in Public Sector IR35 Legislation we understand that sometimes you are required to contract via an umbrella company. We will keep your limited company ticking over, while you work margin free via our sister company, ContractorUmbrella.
- A Dedicated Accountant – Your accountant will be there for any company or personal tax advice that you require. We will never outsource work, even to internal teams.
- Free Access to FreeAgent – The founder behind the multi award winning FreeAgent platform was one of Simon’s first clients, therefore it only seems fitting that we offer all of our clients access to FreeAgent, free of charge.
- Free Business Banking – We have decided to waive our commission so our clients can use Tide free of charge for the first year.
- Unlimited IR35 Status Reviews – We will review all of your contracts for IR35 purposes and provide you with our professional opinion as to its status.
- Free Registered and Director’s Service Office Address – Sometimes you just don’t want your home address on display at Companies House. When you sign up to our accountancy services, we will offer the use of our address as an alternative.
- Your Business and Personal Taxation Needs – This includes Company Accounts, Director’s Personal Tax Return, VAT Returns, Payroll, Corporation Tax and Dividend advice, to name just a few.
If you’d like to find out more about how Dolan Accountancy can help you and your business, please give us a call on 01442 795100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.