Contractor Tax

The old phrase ‘tax doesn’t have to be taxing’ is true, as long as you appoint a good accountant. As a contractor it is recommended you appoint a specialist contractor accountant, as they will have a more in-depth knowledge of contractor specific tax legislation.

In this section James will introduce you to the tax legislation that is likely to affect you and give you a basic understanding of what you need to be aware of. Don’t worry this is what you appoint Dolan Accountancy for!

If you would like to appoint Dolan Accountancy as your accountants, please visit our become a client page or if you have any questions about contracting please call us on 01442 795100 or email



The pages

What is a P11D?

A form that needs to be sent off on an annual basis, a P11D will be filled out by limited company contractors and is used to report employee benefits.


What is a Self Assessment Tax Return?

A self-assessment tax return is a summary of your personal income, capital gains, tax allowances and overall tax liability for the tax year. This runs from the 6th to the 5th of April the following year – regardless of your Limited Company year end, if you operate one.


What is VAT?

Do I have to register for VAT? If your turnover exceeds £85,000, or you expect it to exceed £85,000 in the next 30 days, you must register for VAT. Once registered for VAT, you need to begin charging VAT on all goods and services you sell. This applies as soon as you register – you Read More...