With the gig economy continuing to thrive, latest research has shown that there is a need for greater protection for these types of workers. The survey, carried out by totaljobs, questioned nearly 5,000 workers and 100 businesses and found that 90% of employees and 87% of employers believe that more protection is needed for those working within the gig economy. It has been estimated that there are around 5 million people in the UK working in the gig economy – 43% of businesses said they currently employ gig workers and 45% of those who don’t, said that they will in the future. Of the gig workers surveyed, 35% said that their reason for choosing this method of working was because of the flexibility, 32% said that they couldn’t find permanent work and 22% said that they did it in order to gain more experience in a different industry.
More protection needed for the UK’s gig workers
(2 minutes to read)
A recent report surveying nearly 5,000 workers and 100 businesses has revealed that the majority believe that more regulations are needed in order to protect UK gig workers.
Ready to start your contracting career? With almost 30 years experience in contracting, use our expertise today.
Become an expertI want to be a contractor
David Clift, HR director at totaljobs, commented on the findings, “It’s great to see that employers and employees are united in calling for broader rights and protections for those working within the gig economy. Public awareness of the gig economy focuses primarily on courier services and drivers, but it’s vital to remember that more and more people from a wide range of sectors are adopting flexible working options. “With the Taylor Review highlighting the issue some four months ago, our research shows that all sides are on the same page, and waiting on ministers to make improvements to protect freelance, contract and zero-hours workers.” To find out more about contracting please contact Sophie on 01442 795100 or email email@example.com.
Why Dolan Accountancy?
Dolan Accountancy was set up by Simon J Dolan, the man behind the well-known brand SJD Accountancy. With over 25 years experience in the contracting marketing, Dolan Accountancy has the heritage, reputation and credibility you can trust. Working closely with our sister company, ContractorUmbrella, it means we can offer one low cost, fixed fee package at £95 + VAT per month. This gives you the flexibility of using both our Limited Company Accountancy Services and our award winning Umbrella Service, for one inclusive cost. We don’t believe in tiered packages or hidden extra fees, instead we aim to give you everything you need, including:
- Free Company Formation – This is where it all begins. Once you have decided on an available name, we will form your company free of charge (if using our accountancy services) and it will be ready for you to use in as little as three hours.
- Free use of ContractorUmbrella – With changes in Public Sector IR35 Legislation we understand that sometimes you are required to contract via an umbrella company. We will keep your limited company ticking over, while you work margin free via our sister company, ContractorUmbrella.
- A Dedicated Accountant – Your accountant will be there for any company or personal tax advice that you require. We will never outsource work, even to internal teams.
- Free Access to FreeAgent – The founder behind the multi award winning FreeAgent platform was one of Simon’s first clients, therefore it only seems fitting that we offer all of our clients access to FreeAgent, free of charge.
- Free Business Banking – We have decided to waive our commission so our clients can use Tide free of charge for the first year.
- Unlimited IR35 Status Reviews – We will review all of your contracts for IR35 purposes and provide you with our professional opinion as to its status.
- Free Registered and Director’s Service Office Address – Sometimes you just don’t want your home address on display at Companies House. When you sign up to our accountancy services, we will offer the use of our address as an alternative.
- Your Business and Personal Taxation Needs – This includes Company Accounts, Director’s Personal Tax Return, VAT Returns, Payroll, Corporation Tax and Dividend advice, to name just a few.
If you’d like to find out more about how Dolan Accountancy can help you and your business, please give us a call on 01442 795100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.