Mary Lee Berners-Lee, one of the world’s first IT contractors, has died aged 93
Known as the 'grandmother of the world wide web', Mary Lee Berners-Lee has passed away at the age of 93.
A truly inspirational woman, Mary Lee Berners-Lee achieved so much, yet had such a humble attitude.
On the programming team in 1951 that released the first computer to be sold commercially in the world, (the Ferranti Mark I) she was unhappy to discover that her and her other female workers were on less pay compared to their male counterparts.
As a result, she led an equal pay campaign that was a huge success – long before the Equal Pay Act came into force.
She went on to marry her fellow programmer colleague who she’d met on the Ferranti Mark I project and had her first child not long after.
Ready to start your contracting career? With almost 30 years experience in contracting, use our expertise today.
Become an expert
I want to be a contractor
As a first-time mum, she began freelancing as a software expert and working from home – something that was very much unheard of at the time and as a result, made her one of the world’s first freelance programmers, paving the way for other mums who are looking for the flexibility and better work-life balance that comes with being self-employed.
Throughout her career she worked for the likes of London Transport and Air Ministry; became a maths teacher and then went back to programming right up until she retired in 1987.
She passed away 29th November 2017, leaving her husband Conway, her four children Tim, Peter, Helen and Michael, seven grandchildren and three step-grandchildren.
To find out more about contracting please contact Jaime on 01442 795 100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Dolan Accountancy?
Dolan Accountancy was set up by Simon J Dolan, the man behind the well-known brand SJD Accountancy. With over 25 years experience in the contracting marketing, Dolan Accountancy has the heritage, reputation and credibility you can trust. Working closely with our sister company, ContractorUmbrella, it means we can offer one low cost, fixed fee package at £95 + VAT per month. This gives you the flexibility of using both our Limited Company Accountancy Services and our award winning Umbrella Service, for one inclusive cost. We don’t believe in tiered packages or hidden extra fees, instead we aim to give you everything you need, including:
- Free Company Formation – This is where it all begins. Once you have decided on an available name, we will form your company free of charge (if using our accountancy services) and it will be ready for you to use in as little as three hours.
- Free use of ContractorUmbrella – With changes in Public Sector IR35 Legislation we understand that sometimes you are required to contract via an umbrella company. We will keep your limited company ticking over, while you work margin free via our sister company, ContractorUmbrella.
- A Dedicated Accountant – Your accountant will be there for any company or personal tax advice that you require. We will never outsource work, even to internal teams.
- Free Access to FreeAgent – The founder behind the multi award winning FreeAgent platform was one of Simon’s first clients, therefore it only seems fitting that we offer all of our clients access to FreeAgent, free of charge.
- Free Business Banking – We have decided to waive our commission so our clients can use CashPlus free of charge for the first year, saving you £69.
- Unlimited IR35 Status Reviews – We will review all of your contracts for IR35 purposes and provide you with our professional opinion as to its status.
- Free Registered and Director’s Service Office Address – Sometimes you just don’t want your home address on display at Companies House. When you sign up to our accountancy services, we will offer the use of our address as an alternative.
- Your Business and Personal Taxation Needs – This includes Company Accounts, Director’s Personal Tax Return, VAT Returns, Payroll, Corporation Tax and Dividend advice, to name just a few.
If you’d like to find out more about how Dolan Accountancy can help you and your business, please give us a call on 01442 795100 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.