Latest IPSE research has shown that contractors can help to improve their work performance and well-being, simply by taking time off work.
According to the findings, 63% of contractors believe taking holiday increases their work performance in some way.
Worryingly, there are many contractors who are not taking the R&R they need when they do take holiday. For example, four out of five (78%) admitted to working while on holiday. Over half (58%) said they reply to work emails while away and more than a third (37%) said they take work calls while away. Twenty-eight per cent even work remotely while on holiday.
To help more freelancers take more time off and improve their wellbeing and their business performance, IPSE developed a range of recommendations for government and industry:
- Introduce fair Shared Parental Leave (SPL) and parental pay for the self-employed, so freelancers can take the leave they need when they have children.
- Improve access to savings or private insurance to cover for sick days.
- Make training for the self-employed easier to access, so freelancers feel more able to take time off for this.
- End late payment to stop freelancers having to chase clients during their leave.
- Raise awareness of the importance of freelancers taking time off.